|Royal Newfoundland Volunteers 1778-1780|
n 1778, Captain Robert Pringle the Chief Engineer, was authorized
to form the Newfoundland Volunteers, the first recorded
military force to bear the name "Newfoundland". This unit was formed, mainly from civilians employed by the army on
"King's Works". The first 120 enrolled were artificers and laborers who were employed to work on the completion of
Fort Townhend and the construction of Military Road connecting Forts William and Townshend. This force was disbanded
the following year in a dispute over the paying of a bounty to each volunteer.
|His Majesty's Newfoundland Regiment of Foot 1780-83|
n September 1780, Governor Edwards issued a warrant to Major Pringle to embody a force of 300 men charged with the
defense of the colony. Many of its members were recruited from the recently disbanded Royal Newfoundland Volunteers.
The barracks at Fort William were repaired to accommodate the troops and uniforms and accouterments were quickly issued.
The Newfoundland Regiment of Foot conducted garrison duties in and around St. Johnís for the next three years until the
American Revolutionary War ended with the Treaty of Paris in 1783. An account of their activities was kept by Lieutenant
Dun, a member of the Signal Hill detachment. Lieutenant Dunís Regimental Orders Book is part of the Museum Collection
of the present Royal Newfoundland Regiment.